Studio Lane at Reposed NY - Vintage Home Furnishings
Mid Century 1957 Nantucket Birds Oil on Canvas, Painting
18.0ʺW × 2.0ʺD × 13.0ʺH
This 1957 original painting, which appears to be of native birds on a beach, was shown at the Kenneth Taylor Galleries in Nantucket in 1957. The artist used a varied muted color pallet in oil to achieve the beachy feel of this lovely painting.
Oil on canvas. Painting itself is unsigned. Back of canvas shows the painter's signature tag - Richard Benjamin 230 W 105th st., which is likely NYC. The Kenneth Taylor Gallery of Nantucket Island exhibitor tag is also present, showing this paintings exhibition year as 1957. The image is likely a beach, bird scene on the beaches of nantucket Island.
Minor surface wear to painted surface and tags. Unframed. The painting canvas is mounted to it's original wood frame. Here's more about this special Nantucket Gallery:
The Kenneth Taylor Galleries opened to the public July 1, 1945, by founders Everett Crosby and Austin Strong with exhibits honoring Nantucket artists of the past, including Edgar W. Jenney, Eastman Johnson, and Molly Taylor. By the end of that month, active local artists like Peter Kerr and H. Emerson Tuttle had also displayed their work.
Crosby continued as chairman of the Nantucket Foundation until 1958. At that time, an arrangement with the Nantucket Historical Trust (and later with the Nantucket Historical Association, who officially assumed ownership in the ’80s) was made for them to supervise the foundation’s property and affairs. The trust nominated members to the foundation, chiefly trustees Henry B. Coleman and Walter Beinecke Jr., and in a September 30, 1958, letter they agreed, “so far as it lies in our power” to “maintain the Straight Wharf galleries property as an art center along the lines in which it has been conducted in the past.” The AAN Permanent Collection started with donations and purchases from the earliest days of the Kenneth Taylor Galleries and the AAN, and by 1949 it had built to about thirty works of art. The collection now numbers over seven hundred works